If you’re looking to generate a lot of quick visibility and buzz, an event that caters to local or regional attendees is a fantastic idea. Pro Sports MVP specializes in booking strong local sports and media personalities. The inclusion of such a celebrity at your event — to perform, speak, and sign memorabilia — can give it instant appeal.
But although a celebrity appearance will provide your company an immediate hook, you still need to find ways to attract the attention of local media. Doing so will heighten the event’s impact, increase attendance, and maintain momentum after the fact.
Media announcements and related coverage offer many benefits for your business, such as:
- Increased attendance to the event
- Generates awareness, excitement, and public support for your organization and its products/services
- Strengthens your brand
- Boosts pride within your business
- Promotes good will in the community
So how do you generate the coverage you need? Here are a few tips that might help.
- Create a press list — Make a list of local newspaper, magazine, TV, website, event-calendar, and radio opportunities. Think about how people in your city find out about local events. Now, find phone numbers and email addresses for reporters and contacts for those resources.
- Create a publicity plan — Devise a strategy and determine what kind of press coverage you need at each stage leading up to the event. Target all the local media outlets in your area. Create a timeline for outreach, and abide by it.
- Write a press release — A press release helps to get media attention so they can pick up your story before, during, and after your event. Journalists often use press releases verbatim in their coverage. You can essentially be the reporter! A quick web search will give you countless press release templates.
- Contact news reporters directly — After you’ve sent out your press release by email, be sure to follow up with a phone call to give your messaging that personal touch. Confirm that the reporter received your press release, and ensure that he or she is the correct person to stay in touch with.
- Create your own media — Be prepared with quality photos, video footage, celebrity quotes, and stories that will bolster your messaging for the event. Prepare your website and schedule social media posts.
- Involve your celebrity in pre-event promotions, including interviews. Prepare the celebrity with information about your brand and messaging.
Finally, don’t forget to follow through. Invite the media not only to announce but also to cover the event and report on its impact in the community.
Pro Sports MVP can help you create a celebrity promotion schedule and assist you with giving your celebrity appearance greater impact. Talk to us about how our staff can make this a turnkey part of your event promotion.